Susan: The coffee machines was broken so I got us a couple of smoothies.They had strawberry and strawberry.
咖啡机坏了,所以我点了两杯水果沙拉。有草莓味 以及草莓味的。
Ian: Well, I hate strawberry, so give me the strawberry.
我讨厌草莓,所以还是给我草莓味的。
Susan: Hi Jane.
你好,简。
Ian: Nothing against smoothies but I, I wouldn’t mind having some real food sometime.Maybe we could go to a restaurant.
我不是不想吃冰沙,不过我觉得吃点正餐更好。或许我们可以去下馆子。
Susan: Um, you mean like outside the hospital?
你是说出去吃吗?
Ian: Yeah, you know, like a date.
是的,像约会那样。
Susan: A date?Ahhhh.
约会?
Ian: There a bistro just down the street.
对,沿街有个很温馨的小餐馆。
Susan: (whispers to Jane) Sorry.Ah, well, that sounds, ah, just, ah, that sounds great.
真抱歉,真抱歉,听起来不错,不错。
Ian: I mean, I hope that’s okay?
我希望你不介意。
Susan: Yeah, ah.
不介意。
Ian: No, no, no, I was thinking about how that sounded just now.The, ah, date thing.I really sprang it on you out of nowhere.
我刚才在想,该怎么表达约会这词,我确实是有点唐突。
Susan: Yes, you did.
对,的确如此。
Susan: Jane looked cold.
简看起来有点冷。
Ian: Oh. Thanks.Look, we’re both in difficult situations.I’ve been in mine a lot longer than you have so if you’re not ready, I understand.If you ever should be, let me know.
谢谢,我们俩日子都不好过。我痛苦的时间比你长些,如果你还没心理准备,我可以理解。什么时候你准备好了,请告诉我。
Susan: All right.Well, I am really hungry.
好的,我很饿了。
Ian: Well, let’s go to the blood bank and swipe some sugar cookies.
那就走吧,去血库那边扫荡点甜曲奇吧。
Susan: Oh, um, you might want to give Jane a sponge bath bcause she had a little accident.
你得给简擦洗一下,她出了点小意外。
smoothie [ˈsmuːði] 果汁; 加奶(或冰激凌)果汁;
spring [sprɪŋ]sprang sprungv. 跳;弹;快速站起;突然提出;触发
spring sth. on sb. 突然向某人说出某事
out of nowhere 突然冒出来; 不知道打哪儿来的
I’ve been in mine a lot longer than you have
in mine = in my difficult situation 处境困难,日子不好过
sponge [spʌndʒ] n. 海绵(状物);食客;寄生虫
出处:头条号 @泠子英语