分享两个有“Fish”意思却和鱼没有关系的俚语。
Bigger fish to fry
炸鱼条是英国一道非常受欢迎的菜,但是这个俚语不是有更大的鱼要炸的意思,它的俚语意思和下厨房没有任何关系,它表示有更重要的事要办。
Sorry I can't afford to sit here and chat with you all day. I have bigger fish to fry.
很抱歉我不能坐在这儿和你瞎侃啦。我还有更要紧的事要做。
A: Mary, are you going to the supermarket tonight?
玛丽,今天晚上去超市吗?
B:No, I have bigger fish to fry.
不行,我有更重要的事情要做。
Plenty of other fish in the sea
直译就是海里的鱼多得很,引申的意思就是天涯何处无芳草,世界上机会多得很。
I told her not to worry, she will find another one because there are plenty of other fish in the sea.
我告诉她不要伤心,她会找到另一个,因为世界上机会多得是。
A:My salary is very low, but the work is very heavy.
我的工资很低,但是工作量很大。
B:You can choose to change jobs.
你可以选择换一个工作。
A:What if it's not that good?
那要是还没有这个好呢?
B:You will find another one, because there are plenty of other fish in the sea.
你会找到另外一个,因为世界上机会多得是呢。
出处:头条号 @艾伦英语部落