It's nice to relax a bit. It's been a crazy few weeks. We had just four weeks to buy our new home.
能放松一下真好。这几周过得太疯狂了。我们只有四周的时间买新房子。
Oh no, four weeks! That's really not much time.
哦不,四周!时间太赶了。
I know. Luckily the lawyers were very helpful.
我知道。幸运的是律师帮了很大的忙。
We got the mortgage in time and we completed the purchase last weekend.
我们及时拿到了按揭贷款,所以上周我们完成了购买。
So you've finally got your own place.
所以你终于有自己的房子了。
Yes, the money has exchanged hands and we got our keys yesterday!
对,购房款项顺利转手,昨天我们拿到了房子的钥匙!
Brilliant, so it's all done and dusted then.
太好了,所以一切都尘埃落定了。
No, we haven't had the chance to inspect the house yet. Never mind dusting it.
还没有,我们还没有机会检查房子。更别说打扫了。
I wasn't talking about dusting the house!
我并不是在说打扫房子!
But I heard you ask if it was done and dusted.
可是我刚听到你问我房子是不是打扫了。
Oh, it's just a way of saying everything is OK now - nothing else needs doing.
哦,这是表示所有事都完成的一种说法,也就是没有需要做的事情了。
You've closed the deal on your house purchase. It's done and dusted.
你完成了买房的交易。所以所有事都完成了。
So the phrase done and dusted means work on something is completely finished.
所以done and dusted这个短语的意思是某件事已经完全结束。
When I heard you say dust, I thought you were asking me if I had cleaned the house.
我刚听到你说打扫,我以为你是问我有没有打扫房子呢。
No way, I only got the keys yesterday! I haven't even set foot in the house yet.
当然没有,我昨天才拿到钥匙!我甚至都还没进过房子呢。
Done and dusted is actually a very common expression.
Done and dusted是一个非常常用的表达方式。
We hear it a lot at work. And usually it means something has been completed successfully, there's no more work to be done on it.
我们经常在工作中听到这个短语。基本来说,它的意思是某件事已经成功完成,没有更多的工作要做了。
出处:头条号 @零食英语