“见好就收”这词儿虽然听上去挺颓废的,显得没啥进取心,但在实际生活中却是个实实在在的对策,一步一个脚印儿地向前走,不失为一个明智的举措。
与其相反,“得寸进尺”却成了多数人心中贪婪冒进的火苗儿,还记得范伟小品里的那句著名的“还要啥自行车啊!”说得就是这个理儿。
好啦,今天就来跟大家说一下这个“得寸进尺”用英文怎么来表达,其实挺简单的,就是“push your luck”,你想啊,已经得了好处,还想再碰碰运气,不就是抱着侥幸推着运气走了嘛~
push (one's) luck
na. 得寸进尺; 靠运气成功; 愚蠢冒险;过分依靠自己的好运气;碰到好运后指望侥幸再得到好运; 在已有利情况下做多余冒险;
【En】To try too hard to get a particular result and risk losing what you have achieved. 太过努力去获得一个特定的结果,可能会失去你已经获得的东西。To risk losing the good favor or fortune one has garnered thus far by brashly or overconfidently seeking more. 鲁莽或过分自信地寻求更多的好处,从而冒着失去已有的好名声或财富的危险。
【例】She's agreed to help on Saturday, but I think I'd be pushing my luck if I asked her to be here the whole weekend.
她同意周六来帮忙,不过我想我要是让她整个周末都来的话就是得寸进尺了。
【例】I know you're in the boss's good graces now, but don't push your luck. She's been known to turn on people for getting too cocky.
我知道你现在是老板的得意门生,但你可别得寸进尺。人们都知道她会因为别人太骄傲而对别人发脾气。
【例】I've had some good winnings at blackjack, but I don't think I should push my luck any further.
我在二十一点上已经赢了一些不错的奖金,但我不认为我的运气会再好下去了。
【例】You survived this time but who knows how far you can push your luck? You might be pushing your luck asking them to play the song live.
你这次活了下来,但谁知道你的运气还能走多远? 如果你要求他们现场演奏这首歌,那你就是得寸进尺了。
【例】You've already got a good pay rise. Now don't push your luck by asking for more leave.
你已经得到了很好的加薪。现在不要再得寸进尺地要求更多的休假了。
【例】I didn't dare push my luck too far and did not ask them to sign statements.
我不敢太得寸进尺,也没有要求他们签署声明。
【Scene Dialogue 情景对话】 Adopt a pet 领养宠物
Baron: Why are we here? I thought we decided to put off getting a dog.
巴伦: 为什么我们要来这里? 我想我们已经决定晚点再养条狗呢。
Linda: I know that's what you'd like to do, but I thought a trip to the pound might convince you that this is the right time to adopt a dog.
琳达: 我知道你想的,但我想这次来宠物收容所可能会让你觉得是时候领养一条狗了。
Look at this cute little dog. This card lists his breed and says that he was neglected and abandoned.
看看这个小可爱。这张标明它的品种的卡写着它是被人遗弃,无家可归。
How could you turn down a face like that?
你怎么能拒绝这样一张小可爱的脸?
Baron: I don't think he's right for us. Let's move on.
巴伦: 我认为这只不合适。我们往前看看。
Linda: Look at this one. It says on his card that when they found him, he showed signs of abuse. Poor baby.
琳达: 看这只。它的名片写着当被别人发现时,它被虐待过。可怜的小宝贝。
How can you not be moved to take this little guy home?
你怎么能不动心带这个小家伙回家呢?
Baron: Let's keep moving.
巴伦: 让我们再往前看看。
Linda: How about this little dog? I'd hate to see this little guy be put down.
琳达: 这只小狗怎么样? 我讨厌看到这个小家伙被人这样置之不理。
Here, pet her and look at her little face.
在这里,养她养她,看她那张小脸。
Baron: This animal shelter isn't going to put down these dogs. It's a humane place.
巴伦: 这家动物收容所不会抛弃这些狗。这是一个人道的地方。
Linda: They have no choice. They find so many strays that there's no room to keep them.
琳达: 他们也是别无选择。他们找到很多流浪狗,现在这些狗连个安身之所都没有。
It's so sad. It's tragic, really.
太可怜了。真的太可怜了。
Baron: Maybe...
巴伦: 也许吧…
Linda: What did you say?
琳达: 你刚刚说什么?
Baron: I said maybe we could take one home, maybe two.
巴伦: 我说也许我们可以带1只回家,也许是2只。
Linda: Really? Two would be great, but three would be better.
琳达: 真的吗? 2只太棒了, 但是3只会更好。
Baron: Don't push your luck!
巴伦: 别太得寸进尺了!
出处:见配图水印