Happy New Year! 大家新年好啊!很高兴在新的一年里继续开心地和大家一起来学英语,活成自己喜欢的模样!
新年伊始,不用说肯定又有好多同学闷在屋里给自己这全新的一年立flag呢吧!呵呵,新年立志是件好事儿,但关键是这小旗儿既然立了就一定要对自己狠一点儿,卯足了劲儿去实现了它!否则,要是到了年底旗子还在那飘荡着,决心却一个没实现就太尴尬了......
好啦,那今天咱们就一起来聊聊这个跟“立flag”有关的词儿吧!相信大家都知道“立flag”是咱们的网络用语,要是翻译成英文,大家可千万别简单地直译为“Put up a flag”--竖起一面旗帜,要不又犯 Chinglish 的毛病啦。而对应地就可以用“make or set goals”或“make New Year's resolution”来表达树立新年愿望、下定新年决心的意思。然后关键的来了,立了flag之后,就得下决心去执行才对得起自己,这会儿就可以用到“put/set/turn your mind to something”来表示下定决心、全心全意致力于某事。
• I haven't made any New Year resolutions – I never stick to them anyway.
我还没有制定任何新年计划(新年决心)——反正我也从来没有坚持过。
• I think anyone can lose weight if they set their mind to it.
我认为任何人都可以减肥,只要他们下定决心。
• You could do fine in the world if you put your mind to it.
如果你用心去做,你可以做得很好。
make New Year's resolution
新年决心;新年愿望;新年立志;制定新年计划;下新年决心
【En】A decision to do something better or to stop doing something bad in the new year. 在新的一年里把事情做得更好或不再做坏事的决定。A promise that you make to yourself to start doing something good or stop doing something bad on the first day of the year. 在新的一年的第一天,你对自己许下的承诺:要么开始做些好事,要么不再做些坏事。
• "Have you made any New Year's resolutions?" "Yes, I'm going to eat more healthily and give up smoking."
“你给自己定下什么新年决心了吗?”“是的,我要让自己饮食更加健康,并且把烟戒掉。”
• Thursday Mum's made her usual New Year resolution - to lose weight.
•周四,妈妈又下定了她的新年决心——减肥。
• Do you make any New Year resolutions?
你有什么新年计划吗?
• Many people in the United States make New Year's resolutions. These are specific promises that they make to improve their behavior, change their habits, and become better people.
许多美国人会在新年许下承诺。多是些特定的承诺,他们希望以此来改进自己的品行,改变自己的坏习惯,从而变成更好的人
• Every year, many Americans make resolutions on New Year's Eve to join a gym and lose weight ?
每年许多美国人都在新年前夕下定决心去健身房减肥?
put/set/turn (one's) mind to (something)
决心要,一心想;致力于某事;专心于某事
【En】
To decide that you want to achieve something and try very hard to do it. 决定你想要实现某件事,并且非常努力地去做。
If you put your mind to something, you start making an effort to do it. 如果你下定决心做某事,你就会开始努力去做。
To give something one's complete attention, determination, and effort. 给予某人全部的注意力、决心和努力。
To decide you are going to do something and to put a lot of effort into doing it. 决定要做某件事,并为此付出很大的努力。
• You can do anything when you put your mind to something.
如果专心一志,任何事情都能达成.
• He made up my mind for me when I was starting to put things off.
我正要打退堂鼓呐,他却替我下了决心。
• If you'd just put your mind to it, I'm sure you could do it.
如果你一心扑在那上面,我肯定你能完成。
• But he can turn his mind to detailed needs, like pensions, if he has to.
但如果有必要的话,他可以把注意力转向具体的需求,比如养老金。
• She'd do well in the exams if only her mind was put to her studies.
只要她肯专心学习,就会考出好成绩。
• I turned my mind to Archie.
我把注意力转向阿奇。
• Anybody could do what I do if they put their mind to it.
只要用心,任何人都能做到我所做的事。
出处:见配图水印