Lynette: "Dinner's ready. Kayla, I made your favorite--tacos. Here you go."
晚餐好了。凯拉,我做了你最喜欢的炸玉米饼。吃吧。
Kayla: "But where's my daddy?"
我爸爸?
Lynette: "Oh, sorry, sweetheart. He's working late, trying to get the restaurant ready. Oh, lovely, Parker. Go wash your hands. Go on."
抱歉了,甜心,他还在忙,正在收拾餐馆呢。亲爱的,帕克,赶快去洗手吧。去吧。
Lynette: "Kayla, where you going?"
凯拉,你去哪里?
Kayla: "To watch TV."
去看电视。
Lynette: "Oh, sweetie, we don't watch TV during dinner."
宝贝,吃饭的时候不能看电视。
Kayla: "But my show is on."
但我喜欢的节目开始了。
Lynette: "Well, I'm sorry. Those are the rules."
抱歉了,这是规矩。
Kayla: "My mommy let me."
我妈妈都让我看。
Lynette: "Well...just this once."
下不为例。
Lynette: "Okay, okay, I know what you're thinking, but...Kayla's going through a hard time right now. Come and sit down. Letting her watch TV is like me letting you eat ice cream when you're sick."
是的,我知道你们在想什么。但凯拉现在心情很不好。赶快做下。让她看电视就像是在你们生病时让你们吃冰淇淋。
Twin: "But she's not sick."
可她没病啊。
Lynette: "Well, that's true, but she's sad."
的确,但她很伤心。
Twin: "I'm sad I can't watch TV."
我伤心时怎么不能看电视啊。
Lynette: "Eat your tacos."
吃你们的玉米饼。
Lynette: "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Sit your butts down!"
都给我坐下。
Twin: "It's not fair."
不公平。
Lynette: "I don't care. We have rules."
我不管,规矩就是规矩。
Twin: "Well, she gets to."
凭什么她可以。
Lynette: "She is special. Now sit down. Come on."
她有特殊情况。坐下,快。
Twin: "Does she get dessert, too?"
那她能吃甜点吗?
Kayla (from the living room): "Of course I do."
当然可以。
出处:头条号 @泠子英语