约了 Lawrence 等几个人一起打球,其实主要是怕他离婚之后心情不好,大家想方设法开导他。中间休息时,Tony 关切地问了他一句:“How did you manage when your wife left?”
看到这儿,您可能会以为 Tony 是在问 Lawrence 离婚后是怎么管控时间的,其实不然,这个“manage”除了“管理、经营”之外,还有一层“应付困难局面、完成困难事情、勉强支撑”的意思在里面,所以刚才Tony 问的是“你妻子离开你之后,你是怎么熬过来的?”,相当于大家经常用到的“How did you get through it ?”
manage to smile/speak/laugh etc.
勉力完成;勉强做某事; 熬过艰难的时刻;完成(困难的事); 能解决(问题); 应付(困难局面等); 凑合着活下去; 支撑住;
【En】
If you manage, you succeed in coping with a difficult situation.
如果你能支撑住,你就能成功地应付困难的局面。
If you manage to do something, especially something difficult, you succeed in doing it.
如果你设法儿做某事,尤其是困难的事,你就能成功地完成或解决它。
If you say that someone managed a particular response, such as a laugh or a greeting, you mean that it was difficult for them to do it because they were feeling sad or upset.
如果你说某人做出了某种特定的反应,比如大笑或问候,你的意思是他们很难做到,因为他们感到悲伤或难过。
● 'Through here, ' he managed to say, almost out of breath.
“从这儿穿过去”他几乎上气不接下气地说。
● Tom looked tired but still managed a smile.
汤姆看上去很累,但还是勉强挤出了笑容(强颜欢笑)。
● She had managed perfectly well without medication for three years.
3年来,她一直没有服药却挺了过来。
● I am managing, but I could not possibly give up work.
我正在努力应付(支撑)着,但我不可能放弃工作。
● How did your mother manage when your father left?
你父亲离开后,你母亲是怎么熬过来的?
● He looked dazed as he spoke to reporters, managing only a weak smile.
他在接受记者采访时显得茫然,只勉强露出一丝淡淡的微笑。
【Scenario Example 场景示例】
● I only just managed to finish on time.
我勉强能按时完成。
● This is exhausting work, but I manage to keep going somehow.
这工作很累人,但我还是设法坚持下去了。
● Do you think you can manage to get us some tickets?
你看你能想法给我们搞几张票吗?
● I managed to speak, and asked where Mike was.
我设法儿张口去问问迈克在哪儿。
● I haven't managed to speak to him.
我还没法和他说上话呢。
● I can't manage all this work on my own.
我自己一人无法完成全部工作。
● Don't worry about us - we'll manage!
别担心我们——我们能应付!
● David managed to laugh, too, although his mind was no longer on the subject at all.
大卫也勉强笑了起来,尽管他的心思已经完全不在这个话题上了。
● just manage to pass the entrance exam
入学考试勉强及格
● I only just manage to stop myself from shout at him.
我极力控制住自己没对他喊叫起来。
● How do you manage to keep the house to cool in this hot weather?
天气这么热,你怎么还能使屋里这样凉爽?
出处:见配图水印